Word 2002 + MS Update = Mail Merge malfunction?
me
2010-06-22 03:14:34 UTC
:-)

I re-installed Windows XP and Word 2002 on my parents' computer after a
hardware update, and ran Microsoft Update to get all the service packs and
updates. Now it appears that old documents that use the Mail Merge function
make Word crash, when they used to work perfectly.

As a test I made a new Mail Merge document from scratch, and it worked, but
when I saved the document and re-opened it, Word crashed again after I had
said yes to the "run SQL command?" dialog.

The data file is a simple tab-delineated txt file with less than 100 records
with about 10 fields. I'm just trying to print addresses on envelopes,
nothing fancy. And, as I said, it used to work on the same Windows/Office
combination.

I assume that a problem with old software will have already been solved by
someone long ago, but I can't seem to find the solution. Anyone here have
any idea?

Marc.
me
2010-06-23 00:00:49 UTC
:-)

A corrupted normal.dot seemed to be the cause of the problem. I deleted it,
Word created a new one, and the problem was solved.

Marc.
:-)